Bonetool Archives 2013

December 2013

bta 2013 12 whalebone chair
Photo: Hans Christian Küchelmann
This sidechair in Chippendale style (18th century) was manufactured by whalers out of sperm whale panbone, the articlar end of the mandible. It is exhibited in the New Bedford Whaling Museum, Massachusetts, USA (inv. no. 2001.100.52).
It weighs 10,4 kg and its size is 103 x 40 x 34,3 cm.

Reference:
Frank, Stuart M. (2012): Ingenious Contrivances, Curiously Carved. Scrimshaw in the New Bedford Whaling Museum, 264, Fig. 11.93, New Bedford

November 2013

 bta 2013 11 snuff-container
Photo: Richard Meadow
Cattle horn snuff containers from the end of the 19th to the beginning of the 20th century probably of Austrian or German origin. The diameter of the lid is ca. 4 cm.

October 2013

bta 2013 10 viisuludaEstonia
Photo: Eesti Rahva Muuseum, inv.-no. ERM 17622

Bone tools, called ‚viisuluda’ in Estonian, were used for entwining bark and bast objects (e.g. shoes, bags) in Estonia. These tools were made from split long bones of large ungulates. Such tools have a tapering tip which was used for widening the gap between two parallel bark strips for sticking a crossing strip through it. Ethnographic assemblages in Estonia contain several such bone tools. The tool on the photo is from the collections of Estonian National Musem and is dated to 1885.

Heidi Luik

September 2013

Decorated bone box from Givati Parking Lot Excavations, Jerusalem, Israel.

This miniature box has been found between two plastered floors, both dated to the late phase of the Byzantine period in Jerusalem (6th-7th cent. AD). The lid is decorated with an incised cross inside a double incised frame, and the inside of both parts of the box bears a painted picture. A high frame on the base of the box fits to a low carved frame on its lid, which allows hermetic closing of the box. It was found closed, and that is how the delicate paintings were preserved for almost 1400 years.
The picture inside the base of the box is of a male face on a background of gold. The man wears a white tonic with red stripes on his shoulder and he has dark hair. The picture inside the lid is smaller, and probably bears the image of a woman in a blue tonic, on a gold background.
The pigments were analyzed in the Hebrew University lab of Nano-Technology, and were found to be based on “white led” (cerussa), a common material in the ancient world, also mentioned by Pliny the Elder and Vitruvius. The gold background leaf was added after the drawing of the pictures was finished. The fact that the gold leaf is spread inside the entire breadth of the box and is not shaped like a halo does not mean these are not saints. The conventions for Christian iconography were set only at 692 AD, and saints with no halo are known in Christian art before and after that year. During the 6th and 7th centuries AD, the number of saints worshiped by the church rose to a few hundreds, so it is difficult to recognise the persons in the images, but the option of Jesus and Miriam can not be ruled out.
The box was not used to store a a relic (reliquary). Instead, it was a personal sacred item carried on the body. When needed, the owner could open it, and make it the focal point for his prayers. Such private icons are known in literature since the 5th cent. AD, but the one from Jerusalem is the only one ever found complete and with paintings. A lid of an exact similar object, but without the preserved painting, was found in Jerash, Jordan.
Ariel Shatil

The box was published in Hebrew media in May 2011, an English scientific publication by Y. Tchekhanovits is forthcoming.
 bta 2013 09 box jerusalem1  bta 2013 09 box jerusalem2
bta 2013 09 box jerusalem3 bta 2013 09 box jerusalem4
Photos: Clara Amit, Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA).

August 2013

bta 2013 08 kohl container Arslantepe

A fragment of a container from Arslantepe, Turkey, found in the first Early Bronze Age level (VIB). It has possibly been used as vessel for kohl.

Alice Choyke

July 2013

This double-sided box zither (Horniman Museum, London, accession no. 2010.0.1) was made in 2004 by Sergei Charkov of Khakassia in the Russian Federation. The body of the zither is constructed from larch and fir wood with 12 steel strings on the upper surface and 11 below. The bridges on the upper surface are made from sheep astragali. Each astragalus sits on a leather pad and they seem only to have been modified by drilling a hole to support a strip of longbone in a vertical position. The top of the bone strips have a small notch in which the strings are located.
Sonia O’Connor
bta 2013 07 box-zither1 bta 2013 07 box-zither2

June 2013

Proximal half of a projectile foreshaft from Andernach-Martinsberg, Central Rhineland. Recent re-examination of the osseous material assemblage resulted in the discovery that the implement was, in fact, manufactured from cetacean bone (probably whale). Projectile elements made from this raw material have been identified in southern French Magdalenian assemblages but this is the first such object from southern Germany.
bta_2013_06_whale_bone1.jpg bta_2013_06_whale_bone2.jpg bta_2013_06_whale_bone3.jpg
Reference:
Langley, Michelle C. & Street, Martin (2013): Long range inland-coastal networks during the Late Magdalenian: Evidence for individual acquisition of marine resources at Andernach-Martinsberg, German Central Rhineland. – Journal of Human Evolution 64(5), 457-465

May 2013

Beautifully carved bone object of unknown function found as a stray find on the banks of the river Weser in Rechtenfleth near Bremen. Comments are welcome. By courtesy of finder Gesine Springfeld, Bremen.
bta_2013_05_unknown_weser1.jpg bta_2013_05_unknown_weser2.jpg

April 2013

Miniature sword or knife found 2012 in a Bronze Age structure (ca. 3500 BP) at the Links of Noltland, Westray, Orkney. The purpose or function of the object is uncertain and the excavator Sean Rice would sitll be grateful for appreciate any ideas or suggestions. See also the mystery bonetool page.
bta_2013_04_noltland_knife1.jpg bta_2013_04_noltland_knife2.jpg

March 2013

Replica of Roman hairpin made by Vero Schmolinksi. The original has been found in Augusta Raurica, Switzerland, dating 1st to 4th century AD (Deschler-Erb 1998, 162, 383, Tafel 31, Katalog-Nr. 2034).
bta_2013_03_roman_hairpin1.jpg bta_2013_03_roman_hairpin2.jpg  bta_2013_03_roman_hairpin3.jpg
Reference:
Deschler-Erb, Sabine (1998): Römische Beinartefakte aus Augusta Raurica – Rohmaterial, Technologie und Chronologie, Band 1: Text und Tafeln, Forschungen in Augst 27/1, Augst

February 2013

This small bone object of less than 1 cm length is probably a bead. It was found in a cess pit from the palace ‘Huys ter Nieuburch’ in Rijswijk, the Netherlands. The palace was built 1630-1634 by Frederik Hendrik, stadtholder at the time although he probably did not spend much time here. It was torn down in 1786.

Marloes Rijkelijkehuizen

bta_2013_02_bead_rijswijk.jpg
Published with kind permission of the Archaology department of the municipality of Rijswijk (gemeente Rijswijk, Archeologie).

January 2013

My nomination for the ‘Bad Taste in Boneworking Award’:
Hunters drinking tablet made out of the palmate part of a fallow deer (Dama dama) antler. The six sockets for the glasses are hollowed out antler beam segments of red deer (Cervus elaphus).
Found in Hoya, Niedersachsen, Germany, 20th century.Hans Christian Küchelmann
bta_2013_01_tablet_hoya1.jpg bta_2013_01_tablet_hoya2.jpg bta_2013_01_tablet_hoya3.jpg

Bonetool of the Month Archives